Zeenat Basrai has extensive experience with advising clients on a variety of matters including those related to immigration, employment related issues, and contract negotiations. She is a trusted advisor to businesses and individuals, and her legal acumen combined with her ability to understand the needs and goals of her clients make her an effective attorney.
She firmly believes that legal services do not have to be exorbitant and that everyone should have access to high quality legal services. She takes the time to really understand what the client is seeking and then comes up with creative solutions to produce the best possible outcomes for her client.
Zeenat’s breadth of experience includes having successfully helped clients obtain work authorizations, advance parole (travel/stay outside of the U.S. permission), green cards, U.S. citizenship and Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) relief.
She also has experience counseling clients, including Management and Human Resource professionals, on a variety of employment issues including recruiting, hiring, terminations, reductions in force, severance issues, drafting policies and agreements, internal investigations, EEO compliance, wage and hour issues, independent contractor issues, family and medical leaves of absence and disability issues.
She has been the lead associate in employment litigation on behalf of employers, including discrimination, harassment, retaliation, whistleblower, wrongful discharge, wage and hour, class action, tort and contract matters in federal and state courts, civil rights agencies, and alternative dispute resolution settings.
• J.D., Stanford Law School (2005)
• B.A., Claremont McKenna College (2002) - Government & Literature
Licensed to practice law in California and New York.
U.S. District Court - N.D.C.A.
U.S. District Court - C.D.C.A.
U.S. District Court - S.D.C.A.
U.S. District Court - D.N.J.
• Maxim Integrated, San Jose, CA
• Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP, Palo Alto, CA
• Gibbons P.C., Newark, NJ
• Mitchell, Silberberg & Knupp LLP, Los Angeles, CA
• Paul, Hastings, Janofsky & Walker LLP, Los Angeles, CA
• “EEOC Issues Final Rule for the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act (GINA),” Employment Law Alert (Nov. 2010)
• “How Associates Can Enhance Client Service,” ABA’s Litigation Section Committee on Corporate Counsel (July 2010) (co-author)
• “Employee Wellness Programs: What Every Employer Should Know,” New Jersey Law Journal (March 2010)
• “The New Jersey Supreme Court Clarifies the Relationship Between the Offer-Of-Judgment Rule and Fee-Shifting Statutes,” Employment & Labor Law Alert (Feb. 2010)
• “Third Circuit Provides Guidance on Definition of ‘Management Level Employee’ for Purposes of Determining Employer Liability for Co-Workers Sexual Harassment,” Employment & Labor Law Alert (Aug. 2009)
• “The United States Supreme Court Holds That Answering Questions During Employer’s Internal Investigation Is Protected Against Retaliation,” Employment & Labor Law Alert (Feb. 2009)
• “Better Late Than Never: New Sexual Harassment Awareness Training Regulations Adopted,” Bender’s California Labor & Employment Bulletin (Sept. 2007); also published as a Mitchell, Silberberg & Knupp Labor & Employment Alert (Sept. 2007)
• “Mum Is Not the Word For Employees,” Mitchell, Silberberg & Knupp Labor & Employment Alert (June 2007)
- Successfully obtained immigration relief for clients related to green cards, citizenship, Violence Against Women Act Applications, advance parole and work authorization.
- Former in-house counsel at publicly traded semi-conductor company in silicon valley. Provided practical daily legal advice on a full range of employment law decisions relating to recruiting, hiring, terminations, reductions in force, training, performance management, compensation, leaves of absence, return to work and accommodation issues, benefits and other global employment related topics.
- Experienced in managing litigation through all phases including discovery, summary judgment, and mediation. Excellent knowledge of various federal and state employment laws and regulations including the ADA, ADEA, FMLA, CFRA, and FLSA.
- Successfully represented broker-dealer client in Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (formerly NASD) arbitrations. Prepared witnesses for arbitration testimony and drafted work product in connection with the arbitration including a pre-hearing brief and various motions.
Successfully represented clients before various administrative bodies including the California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement, California Department of Fair Employment and Housing and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
- Pro Bono Work: Successfully obtained green card and citizenship for clients. Successfully represented Essex County inmate before the State Parole Board in his parole revocation proceedings. Assisted with adoption of five children by their grandmother, including securing additional benefits for the children. Volunteered at Los Angeles Superior Court domestic violence project.